How To Get Your Home Prepared For Spring: Our Top 10 Tips
A Spring Cleaning Checklist Created by Spray 'n Coat, A Boise Painting Company
Spring is finally here, and it's time to start thinking about getting your home in tip-top shape. With winter weather behind us, it’s important to assess any damage and make necessary repairs to your home. Spring cleaning not only ensures your home looks great, but it also helps maintain the integrity of your home and can prevent any costly repairs in the future. It's never too late to get a head start on your checklist.
- Clean Your Dryer Vent
- It's crucial to clean your dryer vent regularly as failure to do so is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires in the US. The buildup of lint in your dryer vent can cause your dryer to overheat, which can be a serious fire hazard. Cleaning your dryer vent is easy and can save you from a potential disaster.
- Gutters And Downspouts
- Remove any debris that could be blocking or clogging your gutters. Blocked gutters can cause water to overflow and lead to water damage to your home's foundation, roof, siding and your exterior paint. Regularly cleaning your gutters and downspouts can save you from costly repairs in the future.
- Wash And Wipe Down Windows And Doors
- Winter weather can leave a film on your windows and doors, making it difficult to see outside. Cleaning your windows and doors can also improve the overall appearance of your home.
- Check Caulking Around Windows And Doors
- Cracked caulking can cause outside elements to come in, leading to drafts and increased energy costs. Replace cracked caulking with a fresh bead of caulking, but don’t caulk over those weep holes. Other common areas to check for cracks are the corners of your siding and areas where the sprinklers may hit. Keeping the caulking in good condition will also help your exterior paint job last longer!
- Powerwash your driveway and walkways;
- Removing layers of ice melt built-up, dirt, and grime as part of your seasonal maintenance can improve your home's curb appeal. Keeping mildew and moss from growing on your siding will extend the life of your exterior paint.
- Scrub and stain your deck and fence;
- If the finish on your wood deck or fence is faded or worn, now is the time to clean, stain, and reseal it. Doing so can improve its longevity and appearance. It is more cost-effective to maintain your deck, fence, and pergola stain than to let it go too far and have to sand much of the failed stain off prior to applying another coat of stain.
- Get The Grill Ready
- For gas and propane grills, check burner jets for clogs and obstructions, and be sure that hoses and connections are sound and secure.
- Prep Your AC Unit
- Change the filter, check hose connections for leaks, and make sure the drain pans are draining freely. Doing so can help prevent any costly repairs during the summer months.
- Adjust Your Sprinklers
- Prevent water damage and staining to your home's foundation, siding, and trim by adjusting your sprinklers. This is one of the most common reasons for premature exterior paint and siding failure.
- Clean And Organize Your Garage
- Get started by cleaning out the clutter and reorganizing, sweep out the dirt and debris, and give it a thorough scrubbing to remove the remnants of winter.
Spring cleaning might feel like a big chore, and often one we want to avoid, but by enlisting family or friends to help you out, it’ll be done before you know it. For projects that are above your ability, either physically or knowledge base, we always recommend hiring a professional.
In conclusion, spring cleaning is an essential part of maintaining your home's integrity and appearance. By following our checklist, you can be sure that your home is ready for the spring and summer months ahead. Remember, it's never too late to get started on your checklist.
*The information in this article was compiled from a variety of sources and is intended to provide helpful tips only
Create a seamless transition between your indoor and outdoor spaces by incorporating a few key style...
Read More >
How Color Can Impact The Mood, Behavior And Perception Of Your Space
Read More >
How to Avoid Common Cabinet Painting Mistakes by Spray 'n Coat a Boise Cabinet Painting Company.
Read More >
Garage Transformation Tips from Spray 'n Coat: A Boise Garage Floor Coating Company
Read More >
Tips For Choosing Your Perfect Palette from Spray 'n Coat: A Boise painting company.
Read More >